Friday, November 04, 2011

How we live & fulfillment in life...

Its been quite some time since I wrote last. As I pondered on what to write (despite the innumerable things happening around us relentlessly), I came across few quotes attributed to some of the most wellknown persons. I thought, I might as well write about them, which may be valuable than write something which is still taking shape in my mind.

The first quote is attributed to Will Smith, the legendary Hollywood star. He says,"too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like". Such a beautiful observation. It is indeed so true and reflects the social practices of the present age. What beats me is this - WHY CAN WE NOT BE TRUE TO OUR OWN SELVES? Oftentimes I wonder, is it possible to be true to others without being true to oneselves? We have become so busy with the externalities that we have lost touch with what truly matters. What we do not appreciate until its late is, what really matters is our own selves and the ones near and dear to us. We fail to understand what we truly need - physically, materially, psychologically, & spiritually. Why does it so happen? It is my deduction that this mostly happens because WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR OURSELVES. When was the last time we simply sat down on a mat in silence? When was the last time we heard the voice of our heart? When was the last time we honestly surrendered to God? When was the last time we humbly prayed to God for somebody else's wellbeing? When was the last time we just let loose, so that we could be truly ourselves?

When we observe, think, & deeply introspect on our possessions, and ask ourselves DO I REALLY NEED THIS, chances are very high that in almost 70% to 80% cases, we are either clueless of why we bought it, or, we wouldn't need them. Still, we do not realize that there is something wrong and, we are missing something. Until we realize and acknowledge that something is wrong and we are not really doing the right things, we will continue to be carried away by the awes of external world. Once that realization happens, we will start to pause to listen to our hearts. Only then do we start TRULY LIVING.

The second thought I came across from a friend of mine on Facebook. He has put up this thought attributed to Anand Mahindra. It goes like this - WEALTH IS MERELY A PROXY FOR ACHIEVEMENT AND NEVER A SUBSTITUTE FOR FULFILLMENT. Such a profound thought it is. I sometimes watch Kaun Banega Crorepati on television. It so happened that I saw 2 gentlemen win huge sums of money on the show. Of course, it is not easy to win big money on the show, because you have to answer a lot of questions correctly. But, what struck me was, when the host asked them what they'd do in life, now that they had won such huge sums of money, they both answered that they'd stop working and start enjoying the money they'd won. I found it all the more startling because these 2 gentlemen are still young, not older than I. How could a young guy like me stop working just because I'd won money on a television show? Why should a person's productive life stagnate just because he has won a jackpot? In contrast, I came across a quote from Sherlock Holmes in which he says,"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation". Think of it, you win a jackpot, & you are done with your life? What the hell. The attitude of such people only makes Will Smith's thought all the more real. In all fairness, you may want to take a break, go to Europe for a couple of weeks with family on holiday. But, does winning a jackpot mean taking holiday from the rest of your life? It doesn't make sense. It only underscores the long held belief that what is not earned isn't really worth it. While people make money in life (which most people do any way), HOW THEY MADE MONEY, HOW THEY TREAT WEALTH, HOW LIFE CHANGED AFTER THEY GOT WEALTH, WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR CHARACTER, and most importantly, WHAT IS THEIR ATTITUDE TOWARD WORK is extremely important. Unless these questions, which in my opinion are profound, are not given deep thought and addressed, as Anand Mahindra rightly said, such wealth is mere proxy achievement and lack character.

No comments:

Post a Comment